About Me

My photo
Being a celebrity means having the advantage. That advantage is being known by those who do not know you. I strive for this every single day.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Young Love

DISCLAIMER: This is not about celebs so if you were looking for that today I'm sorry. However, I will not disappoint you so keep reading.

First let me apologize for the past week without posts. It has been crazy busy here with school and I have literally been making lesson plans for hours. Anywho, between all of that I managed to make it home last weekend with Hayley. My brother had his state swim meet and I needed my roots done BAD. So off we went to good ol' Chickasha. Hayley had never been to a swim meet and really didn't know too much about it so I had prepped her on what to expect. The one thing I didn't warn her about was the amount of High School PDA she would see. First of all we sit behind this family who had all made shirts for their swimming. The back said Ft. Gibson Swimming Brandon's ____________. The blank was filled in with every family member's relationship with this Brandon character. Grandma, Dad, Mom etc. all the way down the line until we got to the end. "Girlfriend." I literally lol'ed when I saw this. Poor girl has no idea she is still gonna own that shirt whether that is true or not.

This got me thinking, why do we think every high school relationship is gonna last? Don't get me wrong in a lot of cases it does. My parents for example have been together since they were juniors in high school and are still happily married. But times have changed and the likelihood of you marrying your high school sweetheart is basically zero. I was amoung the many thousands of girls who date the same guy throughout high school and expect to stay together through college and get married. Bah ha. Newsflash girls: You will not marry this guy. Every single girl I saw last weekend looked like they had already picked out their china patterns and kitchen wall paper. I went to take pictures of my brother on the medal stand and there was a guy and girl embraced so tight I literally thought I would have to flag a lifegaurd down to resuscitate them. First of all, no one wants to see that. Second of all, you're gonna dump him as soon as you move to college and see your first Sigma Chi in his polo and sperry's. I read a book once that told me this "If you have a boyfriend right now you will not marry him. You think you will but you are wrong. You will like 3 times the amount of boys you have dated now so do the math." I did the math-15. My senior year of high school that book said I would date, like, or get the attention of 15 boys and I laughed. You wanna know what? Since my hs bf and I broke up, I have had 3 different bfs, talked to about 5, texted roughly 7 or so, and noticed countless others. The book I laughed at was right.

So why do I care this much about relationships of people I just noticed at a swim meet? Bc I was annoyed mostly. Those gfs were hanging on boys like they couldn't walk without them. Give me a break. To all those girls here is a timeline to go by: Graduate in May, have the best summer of your life with your bf, go to college, break up on fall break, get back together on Thanksgiving, and finally end things at Christmas. It's fool proof and happens more often than not mark my words. Enjoy being young and don't start looking at wedding colors until you've seen the boys on campus. Oh, and that Brandon kid? We saw him...he was about 6'2", 135, white, and had a mohawk. Brandon's Girlfriend-grab a pen and write this note down.

Dear Brandon,

We're done.

Love Always,
You're Ex-Girlfriend

PS My college bf is using that shirt to wash my car right now. Sorryboutcha.

4 comments:

  1. I like this. I lol'd at the end part in red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is so great. I totally laughed reading this whole thing. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might start handing out copies of that letter to all of the girls on my swim team at the beginning of every season. "Girls, go over everything in this packet. The first ten pages need to go to your parents, and the last page is for your boyfriend. You don't have time for a boyfriend now. Deal with it. It is for the best. Just ask Maddie."
    The PS could maybe say something like "Don't bother stalking me unless you are prepared to deal with the embarrassment of getting pummeled by one of the many guys in Speedo's I am hanging out with now that swim season has started."

    Now that would just be darn good coaching. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen sister! This is what I've been preaching since I was 16. And now, as an adult I know for sure high school boys are just hairy-legged hormones--likable, yes, but not to be looked at as marrying material....yet.

    I am also glad to now know that LOL is a verb, but I am confused about the conjugation. You put lol'ed, Cory's was lol'd. I am wondering about lol'ing, and what about when you change it to an adverb? ...lol'ingly???

    ReplyDelete